Why Use jMaki?
Wrapping it up
- Ajax in a tag - jMaki wraps Ajax components into easy to use tags. Now
Ajax enabling your application becomes as easy as <a:widget name="dojo.clock" />
wraps other APIs and can provide a standardized way of representing, documenting, and tooling
widgets. In other words create re-usable widgets from various libraries where
you can pick and choose which is best for your needs.
- Server Integration - jMaki uses the server frameworks to accelerate and enhance
server and have the correct data accessible to your jMaki widgets. jMaki doesn't prescribe
a specific server data model but can be integrated well with existing environments.
- Composition Support - jMaki provides a mechanism for page
composition to enable the programming model know as the page as the application.
All containers widgets such as the tabbed views and accordions provide the built
in support for this model using an API called the Injector.
This API is also available for reuse in your own widgets.
- Convention over Configuration - We provide a great out of the box
experience with default data and samples. We follow the 80 / 20 rule.
Glueing it all together
- Standardizes Data Model - jMaki provides a common
data model. It allows for many structures such as trees, tables, tabbed views, and
from different toolkits can be used with the same data.
for inter-widget communication and a glue mechanism which allows you to defined your
application specific behavior outside of your markup.
outside of the domain using XMLHttpRequests because of browser security constraints
(which is a good things). jMaki provides a generic XMLHttpProxy for
tying in external services in a generic way. Examples provided include Yahoo Geocoder
Flickr Search, and RSS integration.
Good Styling out of the Box
- Layout Templates - CSS may and should be used to provide a layout for a web application.
jMaki provides a set
of layouts which may be used as templates for your web pages. These layouts
may be easily customized and promote proper web design.
- Designer Friendly - Not all toolkits promote a designer friendly way
- Tooling Support - jMaki provides meta data for all widgets in a
friendly manner where the tool enhances your jMaki development. jMaki applications do
also can be designed outside of a tool.
Pick your server
environments are planned (a certain gem-related language is being prototyped).